The webinars will be live and include presentations on the following subjects:
1. Living With Wildfire by Hardening Your Home, Thursday, April 1, 5:30-6:30 pm PST You can watch a recording of the webinar on YouTube by clicking here.
2. Creating Effective Defensible Space, Wednesday, April 14, 5:30-6:30 pm PST You can watch a recording of the webinar on YouTube by clicking here.
California law requires a minimum of 100 feet of defensible space around all structures in areas subject to wildfires; however, state guidelines acknowledge that depending upon such factors as topography and vegetation a greater distance may be needed to protect structures and lives from wildfire, and encourage "community-wide" defensible space. This webinar is designed to give you information on how to create effective defensible space to help protect your life and home, while complying with regulatory requirements.
Justin Linquist, Monterey County Regional Fire District
John Dugan, Monterey County Resource Management Agency
Buddy Bloxham, CAL FIRE
Richard Bates, Fire Safe Council For Monterey County
3. Emergency Planning and Preparing for Evacuations, Thursday, May 13, 5:30-6:30 pm PST You can watch a recording of the webinar on youtube by clicking here.
Once a wildfire is approaching it is too late to plan. This webinar is designed to help you understand how to plan and prepare for wildfires before they start.
Reno DiTullio, CAL FIRE Unit Chief, San Benito-Monterey Unit
Kelsey Scanlon, Monterey County Office of Emergency Services
4. Moving towards a fire-resilient landscape (vegetation management), Thursday, May 20, 5:30-6:45pm PST You can watch a recording of the webinar on youtube by clicking here.
Over 100 years of the policy to suppress wildfires as quickly as possible has resulted in hazardous accumulations of wildfire fuels over much of the landscape. Wildfire fuels that would have burned did not because wildfires that would have burned them were put out. Panelists will be speaking about the changing fire conditions in California, what a fire-resilient landscape could look like, and mitigation of problem vegetation.
Pris Walton, President of Carmel Valley Association
Matt Lumadue, CAL FIRE
Paola Berthoin, Carmel Valley Environmental Steward
Jamie Tuitele-Lewis, Monterey County Resource Conservation District
5. Taking Steps Towards Community Wildfire Preparedness, Thurs., May 27, 2021 5:30-7:00pm PST A link to watch the recording of the webinar will be posted soon.
Speakers will discuss both the future of wildfire management and steps YOU can take to prepare yourself and your home for wildfire.
Christy Wyckoff - Fire Ecology (vegetation management on the Santa Lucia Preserve)
Jared Childress - Fire Treatment / prescribed burning
Mike Caplin - Regulatory conflicts to reducing wildfire fuels to safe levels
Pam Peck - Role of the Fire Safe Council For Monterey County
The Fire Safe Council For Monterey County is a non-profit 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization. Your contribution is tax-deductible, as allowed by law. Please note, we may only solicit donations from California sources, though we may accept donations from anywhere.